New Feature! Sudoku below Horoscopes and Ledge, play online or print it out!
ARIES (March 21-April 19): Your changing attitude will influence the way your peers and colleagues treat you. Don't hesitate to speak up regarding your goals and how you plan to move forward. Expect someone to make suggestions that have ulterior motives.
TAURUS (April 20-May 20): Interacting with people who can assist you will set the stage for future gains. Engage in events that help you expand your interests as well as encourage a strong alliance or partnership.
GEMINI (May 21-June 20): Size up your situation quickly. Don't take anything for granted or let anyone take advantage of you. Set your criteria, and don't budge even if someone tries to entice you. Empty promises are apparent. Get facts before you commit to anything.
CANCER (June 21-July 22): You will gain approval for something you want to pursue if you get involved in a work-related event. Sharing plans will spark someone's interest. An unusual connection will allow you to expand your plans and reach your goals.
LEO (July 23-Aug. 22): Put more time and effort into legal, financial, or medical issues that are weighing you down. An unorthodox approach will help you outsmart someone. A sudden or unexpected change will catch others off guard.
VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22): Ask and you shall receive. A partnership will help you take a project in a new and more profitable direction. Listen and collaborate, but make sure you maintain equality regarding both responsibilities and rewards.
LIBRA (Sept. 23-Oct. 22): Expand your interests, but don't go overboard. A desire to overcompensate for someone else will not solve the problem you face. Get back to basics, and use experience in order to make the right choice now. Diplomacy will be required.
SCORPIO (Oct. 23-Nov. 21): Explore your personal and professional options. The changes you make in your personal life will enable you to expand your connections to those heading in the same direction as you professionally. Focus on creativity.
SAGITTARIUS (Nov. 22-Dec. 21): Keep your plans a secret. Sharing too much information will lead to criticism and opposition. Make the changes that are right for you at home. Do things for yourself, not others.
CAPRICORN (Dec. 22-Jan. 19): Explore your options, and consider what you have done in the past and how you can use your skills to help you improve your financial position. Avoid unpredictable or overly pushy people, and move forward at a pace that you find comfortable.
AQUARIUS (Jan. 20-Feb. 18): Listen to authority, and stick to the rules, but don't allow anyone to push you around. There will be a fine line between what's acceptable and what isn't. Make home improvements and changes to whatever isn't working for you anymore.
PISCES (Feb. 19-March 20): Take a different approach to a job or pursuit that can affect your personal or professional life. You can stabilize your financial position if you look at investments that include elaborating on a skill you have to offer.
Words I recently learned, their definitions, and what I originally thought they meant:
• typography (the arrangement of composed type): the arringement of mispeled wurds.
• shunpike (a side road used to avoid superhighway traffic): a long, metal rod used to jab others not in your social circle.
• crambo (a turn-based rhyming game): the nickname you give someone who goes crazy from studying too hard and leaves to fight a one-man war in the forests of Washington State.
• postlude (a closing piece of music): the best mental state in which to watch a Cheech & Chong movie.
• tyrannies (oppressive acts of power exerted by a government): jyust oyne oyf myy myany fyetishes.
• winsome (attractive): what happens directly before you losesome.
• pertinacity (unyielding adherence): a measure of boob sagginess.
• semicivilized (preindustrial): a society based around classic rock songs, Patrick Swayze movies, and mesh hats.
• chawbacon (a bumpkin or hick): I don't know, but I'd probably eat it.
• submarine (existing beneath the surface of the sea): a National Guardsman.
• vespertilian (resembling a bat): a motor scooter-riding lizard.
• cumshaw (a bribe or payoff): REDACTED.
Andrew R. Juhl wrote these words on words in Word. Word.
>> Click here to submit an event!
• Book Babies, 10:30 a.m., Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn
• Hallelujah Chorus Sing-Along, noon, UIHC Colloton Atrium
• Chess Group, 1 p.m., Uptown Bill’s, 730 S. Dubuque
• Knitting Nurse, 2-4 p.m., Home Ec Workshop, 207 N. Linn
• First Friday Coffeehouse, Iowa Humane Alliance Fundraiser, 5:30 p.m., Beadology, 220 E. Washington
• Graduate College Commencement Ceremony, 7 p.m., Carver-Hawkeye Arena
• Annie, 7:30 p.m., Iowa City Community Theater, Johnson County Fairgrounds, 4265 Oak Crest Hill Road
• A Christmas Carol, City Circle, 7:30 p.m., Coralville Center for the Performing Arts, 1301 Fifth St.
• Tallgrass, Iowa Shares Benefit, 8 p.m., Englert, 221 E. Washington
• Item 9 & the Mad Hatters CD Release Party, 9 p.m., Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington
• Salsa, 9 p.m., Wildwood, 4919 Walleye N.E.
• Scholars and Tyrants, 10 p.m., Yacht Club, 13 S. Linn
In today's issue: