|

Police charge two juveniles in Regina bomb threats

BY DI STAFF | SEPTEMBER 26, 2012 6:30 AM

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Two Regina Catholic Education Center students have been charged in connection with two recent bomb threats at the school.

According to an Iowa City police press release, officials arrested and charged the two juvenile males, ages 15 and 17, on Sept. 21 after following “several leads.” Both students were charged with first-degree harassment, an aggravated misdemeanor.

Investigation is still underway into the involvement of a possible third person in the threats. That person is not affiliated with the school, the release said, but officials are working to “positively identify and pursue charges against” her or him.

Police responded to the first bomb threat around 9 a.m. on Aug. 20 at Regina, 2150 Rochester Ave. A phoned-in threat to the school said a bomb had been placed in the facility. Officials from the Iowa City police, the UI police’s K-9 division, and the Johnson County Bomb Squad searched the area but didn’t find any devices or suspicious packages.

Around noon Sept. 19, a second threat was called into Regina. The caller didn’t say a bomb was inside the school but said he planned to come into the building with an explosive device on his body if the school did not provide money.

Investigation following the latter incident led Regina administration to determine a possible suspect.
As a result of the threats, Regina was forced to cancel two days of classes, adding days onto the school year, according to the release. Also, Regina has “incurred additional monetary expenses as the results of the threats and subsequent responses.” The total monetary amount is not yet available.

— by Sam Lane


In today's issue:


comments powered by Disqus



 
Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.