Intramural soccer: Squirtin' McHurtins score in overtime


SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

The Squirtin' McHurtins and Dirty Money Island tied at 2-2 after 40 minutes of play, sending their playoff match into a five-minute sudden death overtime on Monday.

But it didn't take the McHurtins' Bryan Forand two minutes to lead his team to a 3-2 victory Monday night in the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. 

The McHurtins' players knew how to score goals quickly against their opponent from the start of the match. Despite beginning the game with only five players, the McHurtins quickly scored a goal on a Dirty Money Island inbound kick one minute into the game. 

The quick deficit caused Dirty Money to ramp up its offense in retaliation. Just as in its previous match against the Monstars (LINK LINK), Dirty Money made many more attempts at goals than its opponent. 

Many of the attempts, however, flew right past or above the goal. Goalie Danny Altosino had the hot hands as well, making numerous saves, including one in which he jumped in the air to swat the ball away from the goal. 

Once again, the second half was Dirty Money's time to shine. From its opening possession, the playes' aggressive nature was obvious. Five minutes into the half, Jake Remegi managed to drive the ball past Altosino, evening the score. 

Two minutes later, Remegi sent the ball past the keeper again, giving his team the go-ahead goal. 

"It felt good to benefit the team," he said. "It sucks how it turned out. We were getting chances all game, and I just managed to capitalize on my opportunities." 

The deficit brought out the offensive nature in the McHurtins once again. Like Dirty Money, the McHurtins players saw their scoring attempts fly above and beyond the goal. 

The lack of success had the team switch out keeper Altosino for Anika Peterson, allowing more men on the field, a tactic that Dirty Money had used for the entirety of the match. 

"We stepped up the intensity," McHurtins captain Peterson said. "We played smarter soccer [in the second half]."

The strategy worked, and with 2:15 left in the match, the McHurtins tied the game. After neither team managed to take control of the game in the last two minutes, the game proceeded into a flive-minute, sudden-death overtime.

Dirty Money continued its aggressive offense, but strong defense and poor shot selection kept the ball from sneaking past the keeper. 

With 3:05 left on the clock, the McHurtins drove the ball down the field. Forand, finding himself with a close shot at the goal, sent the ball flying. Attempting to save the ball, Dirty Money's keeper jumped in the air. While she managed to touch the ball with the tips of her fingers, it wasn't enough and the ball fell into the goal, sending the McHurtins to the next round of the playoffs.

"It feels great," Forand said. "We really found a way to pull through." 

In today's issue:

comments powered by Disqus

Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.