|

Journalism building briefly evacuated due to fumes

BY DI STAFF | MARCH 23, 2012 6:30 AM

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Students, faculty, and staff in the Adler Journalism Building were evacuated around 1:20 p.m. Thursday because of fumes in the building.

Bruce McAvoy, the fire-safety coordinator at the University of Iowa Public Safety Department, said an off-site contractor was servicing the building's emergency generator. The building's airflow was not been properly shut down, causing exhaust fumes to spread into the building when the generator was tested.

McAvoy said police had the building evacuated after receiving complaints of an oily smell. Fire officials found no levels of carbon monoxide and activated the building's smoke-management system to clear the fumes.

Fire officials deemed the building safe and reopened it around 1:40 p.m.

— By Luke Voelz


In today's issue:


comments powered by Disqus



 
Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.