|

Caucus contender files complaint against Fox News

BY DI STAFF | AUGUST 19, 2011 7:20 AM

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

A Republican presidential-nomination hopeful said he was discriminated against when Fox News declined to let him participate in a Republican caucus debate last week.

California Republican Fred Karger — who earlier this year was the first person to announce a run for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination — said he met Fox's participation criteria but was shut out of last week's debate in Ames. This week, Karger filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission, asking authorities to investigate.

"I am the first openly gay major-party candidate to ever run for president of the United States. I have experienced many doors slammed in my face by individuals and outside political organizations during the past 18 months, but this blatant affront by Fox News executives smacks of discrimination, and I hope the commission will investigate post-haste," Karger said in a press release.

Other GOP nomination candidates U.S. Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer, and former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson also did not participate in the debate.

— by Adam B Sullivan


> Share your thoughts! Click here to write a Letter to the Editor.


comments powered by Disqus



 
Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.