|

High-voltage transformer surge causes Laura Dr. fire

BY DI STAFF | JULY 06, 2011 7:20 AM

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

The Iowa City Fire Department was dispatched Tuesday around 9 a.m. to a fire at 1205 Laura Drive Lot 1.

According to a press release from fire authorities, a high-voltage surge from a nearby transformer caused an outlet in the residence to overheat, setting the structure ablaze.

No occupants were in the building at the time.

Firefighters arrived with three engines, a ladder truck, a battalion chief, and 13 firefighters. Smoke could be seen at the roof line of the single-wide residence, according the release.

Fire crews controlled the blaze within half an hour. Flames were entirely extinguished within 45 minutes from the time of alarm. Crews were on scene for a total of three hours.

— by Brian Albert


> Share your thoughts! Click here to write a Letter to the Editor.


comments powered by Disqus



 
Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.