|

Methane gas caused Coralville explosion

BY DI STAFF | JANUARY 26, 2011 7:10 AM

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Coralville Fire Chief Dave Stannard said a natural build up of methane gas caused an explosion at the Coralville wastewater-treatment plant on Dec. 27.

The methane ignited when a worker attempted to melt ice around a hatch on the roof of the facility using a blowtorch.

Coralville wastewater superintendent Brian Lamansky was injured in the explosion.

Stannard said he expects the explosion will result in a change of policy.

— by Josh Quinnett


> Share your thoughts! Click here to write a Letter to the Editor.


comments powered by Disqus



 
Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.