Metro Briefs

BY DI STAFF | APRIL 17, 2009 7:31 AM

Emma Goldman no-contact order lifted

A Coralville woman can picket outside Emma Goldman Clinic, 227 Dubuque St., after a roughly five-year hiatus.

Sixth District Judicial Magistrate Patrick Ingram did not extend a no-contact order against Michelle Locher, 42, this week.

The state charged Locher with criminal trespass and telephone harassment against the clinic in 2003. She was convicted of third-degree harassment — a simple misdemeanor — and was served with a temporary no-contact order.

The court extended the no-contact order until 2008. Karen Kubby, who was the director of the clinic, then asked for an additional extension.

Locher requested a hearing in 2008. There was one problem with the original extension, Locher’s attorney said. The judge who granted the five-year term used the wrong paperwork; the form was for one-year extensions only.

Locher’s defense also said the original order was wrong in treating the clinic as a person.

In his decision, filed on Monday, Ingram wrote the main reason for lifting the no-contact order rested in Locher’s behavior since 2003. Ingram said Locher did not violate the no-contact order and picketed peacefully at Planned Parenthood, 850 Orchard St., without incident.

Locher told Ingram she will probably not to return to protest at the clinic. But if she changes her mind, Ingram said she “understood the difference between peaceful picketing and harassment.”
“We hope that is true,” said Jennifer Price, director of administrative services at the clinic.

— by Zhi Xiong

Police investigate assault

Iowa City police are investigating an alleged assault that left a man injured after he tried to intervene in a fight.

According to Iowa City police, two men identified only by their first names, John and Tyler, walked out of the Kamodo Klub, 509 S. Gilbert St., around 1:15 a.m. April 16 to smoke.

Tyler allegedly became involved in a verbal confrontation with another male and punched him after being shoved. John tried to intervene and stop the fight, but he was grabbed by several other men and was pushed to the ground before being punched and kicked repeatedly, police said.

The assailants left, possibly after a Kamodo Klub employee tried to physically intervene, and John and Tyler walked home. Several hours later, Tyler’s friends persuaded him to go to the hospital, where he learned he had sustained a broken nose, abrasions, and a laceration to his head that required staples to close.

The person involved in the initial confrontation is described as a white male, approximately 5-10, athletic build, with “greased up hair and sideburn chops.”

The person who physically intervened in the confrontation in which John was involved is described as a “bigger” Latino male, approximately 220 pounds, with short hair, and he was wearing a black shirt and jeans. This person is possibly an employee at the Kamodo Klub, police said.

— by Regina Zilbermints

comments powered by Disqus
Daily Iowan Advertising
Today's Display Ads | Today's Classifieds | Advertising Info

Sponsored Links  
T-Shirt Design  
Insurance Leads Charlotte Web Design
Health Insurance Leads Home Equity Loans
Home Service Guides  
Life Insurance DMI Furniture
Custom Magnets Buy a text ad

Privacy Policy (8/15/07) | Terms of Use (4/28/08) | Content Submission Agreement (8/23/07) | Copyright Compliance Policy (8/25/07) | RSS Terms of Use

Copyright © The Daily Iowan, All Rights Reserved.